I have been a full-time web developer since 2007, and am seeking a position developing rich web applications with open source technologies.
Enova Financial – UI Engineer
Chicago, IL, Feb 2011 – Present
- Maintenance and enhancement of a set of large scale, high availability Rails applications
- Test-driven development and regression testing with Rspec, Selenium, Capybara
- Front-end and UI/UX development with HTML5, SASS, jQuery & jQuery UI, AJAX
- Developed and deployed an integrated Ruby on Rails solution for A/B testing
Manifest Solutions LLC – Django Developer
Chicago, IL, March 2010 – January 2011
- Built, maintained and re-platformed database-driven Django web applications
- Collaborated with clients, as well as Front-end developers and User Experience architects to produce powerful, usable sites
- Ensured quality by versioning with Git (sometimes Subversion)
- Unit-testing in Django
- Thorough use of third-party packages, such as Fabric, Django-CMS, Haystack and others
- Maintained various Linux daemons, including Apache2, Nginx, Solr, and PostgreSQL
- Built a CRUD API for theultimateholidaysite.com, which allows an iPhone client to browse and manage data within the associated iOS app
Center for Inquiry/Transnational – Web Developer / Web Sysadmin
Amherst, NY, May 2008 – March 2010
- I maintain a portfolio of 30 sites, including centerforinquiry.net and csicop.org. I build and rebuild sites, add features, and re-organize to promote usability. I leverage caching under high-traffic conditions.
- I oversee two employees, serve as the primary technical contact for ~100 people throughout the organization, and regularly advise the management committee.
- I maintain and install Linux servers, using BASH scripting for fully-automated redundant backups.
- I configure Apache 2 and MySQL servers at the command line on Linux and BSD systems.
- I configure DNS, MX records, site deployments and migrations.
- I automate maintenance tasks on a CMS database whose schema is not meant to be user serviceable, using a combination of brute force and bespoke python/MySQLdb/BeautifulSoup scripts.
- I re-deployed the static HTML site csicop.org in ExpressionEngine. Every page on the site validates as XHTML 1.0 Transitional as of this writing. The Compass SASS compiler is used for CSS. This and most larger sites are using jQuery.
- I use Git and previously, Subversion for source control
Wireless Developer Agency – WAP/Web Designer
East Lansing, MI, December 2007 – May 2008
- Promotional Web Development in XSLT/XML/CSS/XHTML
- Graphic Design for both print and web-based layouts.
- Developed mobile phone sites for various musicians and artists
- User-driven code-sharing site with granular caching, syndication, admin interface, context processors and signaling framework provided by Django. Persisted with MySQL, hosted on an Ubuntu VPS.
- Features revision control, support for syntax highlighting in 105 languages and multiple themes. Includes my homebrew CAPTCHA alternative, automated with python's lxml.etree and the flickr API.
- AJAX via jQuery, Xapian search via Haystack, syntax highlighting via Pygments.
Michigan State University – Class of 2007
East Lansing, MI
- B.A. in English, with specializations in Human Computer Interaction and Political Science
Keywords / Software Experience
- Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Adobe Suite
- Object-Oriented Programming